The self-defeating thoughts that accompany depression are among the most painful elements of the illness. When I’m in the thick of the darkness, I can’t see anything remotely positive about myself. I concentrate solely on my weaknesses. The other day I wrote down some affirmations to say when I’m in this place, to remind myself of my value even though I can’t see or feel it. I hope they help you, too.
1. You are valued even when you’re not productive.
2. You are loved despite your sadness.
3. You are not sick because of a lack of effort or a failure at adjusting faulty thoughts.
4. You are appreciated even when you can’t contribute much.
5. You are needed even though you feel worthless.
6. You are separate from your depression.
7. You aren’t any less of a person because certain people can’t understand your illness.
8. You have persevered and persevered and should celebrate your tenacity.
9. You are strong in your weakness.
10. You are much more than your opinions of yourself.
11. Your brain is your friend (despite what you hear).
12. Your discomfort won’t last forever.
13. You are resilient.
14. You are a silent warrior.
15. You are okay where you are right now.
Published originally on Sanity Break at Everyday Health.
Thank- you, Therese. This are my new desktop background.
Thank you for these, Therese. You hit the nail on the head w/most of these. I’m glad (in an odd way) that I’m not the only person who thinks like that & the affirmations truly are something that will help me. (I have chronic pain issues also, so I think several of these can be applied to that also.)
Thank you again!
One of my favourite posts
Now, I’m thinking! Retirement had made me have a sort of validation slice and No. 1 was good for me to remember.
Thank you so much for posting this. I’ve been battling depression for years and I think reading this everyday(I wrote them in my journal) will really help me get a leg up on my mental illness! So once again, I thank you!
Reblogged this on Emerging From The Dark Night and commented:
This too is wonderful. I truly admire this woman and find her writings and insights so helpful…
[…] Source: 15 Affirmations To Say When You’re Depressed […]