On Veteran’s Day, I thought it was appropriate to site some statistics about veterans and mental health:
- Almost one in three veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq confront mental health problems.
- On an average day in this country, suicide claims another 18 veterans.
- Approximately 30 percent of veterans treated in the veterans health system suffer from depressive symptoms, two to three times the rate of the general population.
- More Vietnam veterans have now died from suicide than were killed directly during the war.
- Approximately 40 percent of homeless veterans have mental illnesses.
Please. Let’s support our veterans.