According to research by Harvard Medical School and other studies, one-third of people with major depression do not achieve remission after trying multiple combinations of antidepressants and other psychotropic medications. Many persons with treatment-resistant depression cannot afford alternative therapies like transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS), vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), ketamine infusion, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, or working with an integrative doctor to identify underlying causes and nutritional deficiencies. Others lack insurance that would afford them a beneficial outpatient program, psychotherapy sessions, or a trial with an emerging medicine.
Beyond Blue Grants Program offers small grants to persons who wish to pursue a future treatment for their depression—an alternative therapy like TMS, an outpatient program, or sessions with an integrative doctor–but cannot afford it. If you would like to be considered for a grant, please submit the following information to email@example.com:
- A blood test report including Vitamin D, thyroid, and blood sugar. (Please inform us if you cannot afford the test.)
- A psychiatrist’s report on the medicines and methods tried but failed.
- Cost evaluation for the new treatment desired and the exact address where this can be found.
- A letter describing your background, family history, financial status, and why the grant is important to you.
- Two references, at least one from a medical professional (psychiatrist, therapist, etc.)
Please note, we most likely cannot finance your complete treatment. The purpose of the program is to grant you enough funds to begin an alternative option. You might see that yours is not a hopeless case after all.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, NOT ME. I am not the program manager.