The self-defeating thoughts that accompany depression are among the most painful elements of the illness. When I’m in the thick of the darkness, I can’t see anything remotely positive about myself. I concentrate solely on my weaknesses. The other day I wrote down some affirmations to say when I’m in this place, to remind myself of my value even though I can’t see or feel it. I hope they help you, too.
1. You are valued even when you’re not productive.
2. You are loved despite your sadness.
3. You are not sick because of a lack of effort or a failure at adjusting faulty thoughts.
4. You are appreciated even when you can’t contribute much.
5. You are needed even though you feel worthless.
6. You are separate from your depression.
7. You aren’t any less of a person because certain people can’t understand your illness.
8. You have persevered and persevered and should celebrate your tenacity.
9. You are strong in your weakness.
10. You are much more than your opinions of yourself.
11. Your brain is your friend (despite what you hear).
12. Your discomfort won’t last forever.
13. You are resilient.
14. You are a silent warrior.
15. You are okay where you are right now.
Published originally on Sanity Break at Everyday Health.